[tex-live] texdoc doesn't find man pages

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Jul 15 14:02:20 CEST 2008

Werner LEMBERG scripsit (14.07.2008 23:00)
> I suggest that texdoc looks into the man page directories too, calling
> `man'.

By the way, I just thought this should be very easy to configure.  Indeed,
texdoc is already looking in the man page directories: it's just not looking
for files with extension .1.  Moreover, there's a new mechanism allowing to
easily configure your preffered viwer for a given filetype.

So in theory you just have to add the following lines to your

$TEXMFHOME/texdoc/texdoc.cnf

(new config file for texdoc, still undocumented):

ext_list = .pdf, .pdf.gz, .pdf.bz2, .dvi, .dvi.gz, .dvi.bz2, .ps, .ps.gz,
.ps.bz2, .txt, .txt.gz, .txt.bz2, .html, .1
viewer_1 = man

(beware the ext_list = ... should be only one line).

Well, in practice this was not true a few minutes ago due to bugs in texdoc.
I just fixed them but for some reason I'm unable to commit right now.  I
attached the svn diff.  For me, with the given patch and texdoc.cnf file,
texdoc finds man pages and display them correctly.  I'll think a bit more
whether this should be the default behaviour or not and what to do for windows
users.

Manuel.