[tex-live] texdoc doesn't find man pages

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 10:05:34 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> 2.) Why not copying those man pages parallel to bin folder (to
>> texlive/2008/bin/man)? Then they would be found by man
>> automatically.  I don't know the exact algorithm of man page
>> searching, but we have
>>     texmf-bin/bin/mptopdf
>>     texmf-bin/man/mptopdf.1
>> and that works. I guess that it would also work with the proposal
>> above, though I didn't test.
>
> IMHO it's a bad idea to clutter a `bin' directory with non-bin stuff.

But on the other hand the easiest solution that works out of the box.

       In addition, for each directory in the command search path (we'll  call
       it  a  "command  directory")  for  which  you do not have a MANPATH_MAP
       statement, man automatically looks for a manual page directory "nearby"
       namely as a subdirectory in the command directory itself or in the par-
       ent directory of the command directory.

But there are definitely other solutions possible.

Mojca