[tex-live] TeXLive Online Service?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 10:26:36 CET 2008

Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> does someone offers a `TeXLive Online Service'?
>
> I don't know whether this is the right name, but the idea is that you
> submit a .tex file, and you receive a .pdf file, and TeXLive is used
> for processing.
>
> Is such a service available at all, with or without TeXLive?  A quick
> search with google doesn't bring up anything.

i've not heard of a tex service anywhere; there are several things that
"do" equations and so on, i think.

> I could imagine that, say, tug.org or dante.de could provide such an
> online service.

dante.de surely not?  a commercial service allowing you to run an
oddball application like tex ... seems unlikely.

tug.org, tex.ac.uk and www.ctan.org are all hosted by universities
(well, a department, in my case), and might manage it ... but i'm
already bouncing along the limit of what's considered acceptable in
terms of service offered, and i know tug.org has to watch its network
load the same as i do.  i'm not sure about www.ctan.org -- its hosts are
obviously more tolerant than mine, since it transfers a lot more than i
do.  (dante has to take special measures to cut down its traffic, too.)

in summary, i don't think it's something we can simply "do", but it
might be worth discussing it further ... if assurances about traffic
loads (and so on) can be given.

robin

note -- i'm nowhere near the limit of out network capacity, but we pay a
bean counter in the university management offices for all our traffic
:-(