[tex-live] TeX Live - Quick Install on Solaris -> Permission denied errors

Andrew Smith ajs_rdg at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 19:01:58 CET 2008

> Given that umask [077], wouldn't you expect everything to only be usable by you?

  Ah! You may have something there.

  > Looking at the install scripts, I see that there are some
  > after-the-fact chmod's which add r permission to some trees,
  > but not x.  So that's presumably why the result wasn't just rwx------,
  > as your umask would imply.

  But ... three of the directories DID have x permission. This is what I had immediately after installation:

    drwxr-xr-x   3 tex      tex         4096 Jan 22 11:48 bin
  drwxr--r--  19 tex      tex         4096 Jan 22 12:42 texmf
  drwxr-xr-x  18 tex      tex         4096 Jan 22 12:42 texmf-dist
  drwxr-xr-x   5 tex      tex         4096 Jan 22 11:49 texmf-doc
  drwxr--r--   8 tex      tex         4096 Jan 22 12:42 texmf-local
  drwxrw-rw-   8 tex      tex         4096 Jan 22 12:42 texmf-var

> Since the installation scripts have been completely reimplemented
  > for the next release, and I don't think such special chmod's are done
  > any more, there's probably nothing to do here.

  Well, if the installation scripts don't enforce the permissions that are necessary for a given setup scenario, it might be helpful to have a sentence in the installation notes that says something like, "if you want TeX Live to be usable by everyone, you must set umask ... before you start", or "... ensure that you have these file permisions after installation: ...".