[tex-live] italic fonts rendering as bold

Paul Mantz pcmantz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 16:50:51 CET 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm having some problems with a custom font that I installed.

I'm running a image-rendering server that takes chunks of LaTeX code
and renders them from .tex -> .dvi -> .png, using latex and dvipng.
We use Trebuchet MS, convert to a type1 font and installed in
texmf-var, to render our graphics.  unfortunately, all our italic
script renders as bold.

I took our texmf-var/ directory from our server, put it as my home
directory on Ubuntu, and found that the trebuchet.map file in the
dvips driver was not mapping to the right fonts.  I fixed this and was
able to get italics working after running `updmap --enable Map
trebuchet.map`.  However, this fix did not work on the server, and I
am stumped as to what the cause may be.  I disabled and re-enabled the
map after the fix, but it's still going to the wrong fonts.  What do
you guys think?

Thanks,
Paul