[tex-live] CTAN has a new package: hwkatakana

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 07:31:56 CET 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 2:44 PM, Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> [about the CJK and hwkatakana packages; the latter replaces two files
>  from the former]
>
> >   intentionally) replaces two font metrics files (udmjff.{vf,tfm};
> >
> > Oh dear.  I hadn't noticed that.  As things stand, both the CJK and
> > hwk versions of those files are in the tree, so which one gets found
> > is a matter of chance.
>
> Uh, oh.

Hello all,

Sorry about the whole mess. I hope the solution proposed by Werner
will be acceptable. I'm afraid I don't have experience with automatic
installations. I assume in this mail the double quoted text is from
the original mail by Karl (Berry?).

> > The only approach I can think of (not great) is to
> > - remove the files from the CJK install in TL;
>
> I don't like that.
>
> > - make CJK depend on hwk;
>
> Well, they aren't dependent...

Werner, is it not possible to integrate hwk into CJK as a matter of
cohesion? Even if you do not like half-width katakana :-)

> > Wdyt?
>
> What about the following:
>
>   . The main idea is to have copies of those two files in special
>     subdirectories in the TDS:
>
>       <TEXMF>/backup/hwkatakana/udmjff.{vf,tfm}
>       <TEXMF>/backup/cjk/udmjff.{vf,tfm}
>
>     The former two are installed by the hwkatakana package, the latter
>     by the cjk package.
>
>   . If hwkatakana gets installed, the two files (in the standard TDS
>     location) are always overridden.
>
>   . If hwkatakana gets uninstalled, restore the original files if
>     copies are present in backup/cjk/.

That sounds workable to uneducated me too.

>   . If CJK gets installed or uninstalled, check whether there is
>     something in backup/hwkatakana.  Otherwise, install or uninstall
>     udmjff.{vf.tfm}.

/../

> Yes, and it can't be avoided.  I can imagine that such a conflict
> happens in the future too, so I've invested some time to think about a

Yes, probably at any time that the hwk is out of sync with
improvements to the Wadalab fonts and/or the CJK package (because I
have to create the new VF from somewhere).

Regards, Gernot Hassenpflug