[tex-live] Help! Would like to use xdvi with TeXLive2007 in cygwin

Bo-Yin Yang by at moscito.org
Sun Feb 10 05:52:46 CET 2008

Dear Sirs and Mesdames:

I wrote to the list crying about how I can't get cygwin's latex to work,
and I can get texlive's binaries to work in place of cygwin's own,
but then I am missing xdvi.

On Feb 9, 2008 5:27 AM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

>     do something to the xdvi included in cygwin so that I can run it using
>    TeXLive's TDS.
>
> If you're lucky, perhaps simply copying the executable into the same bin
> directory as the TL binaries will work.  (It can then try to find the
> fonts and support files by its own location.)
>
> Failing that, all that comes to mind is to write a batch file that sets
> environment variables and then calls the cygwin xdvi.  Perhaps all that
> is needed is
> set TEXMFCNF=c:\your\texlive\root\web2c
> but I cannot say for sure.

Tipped off by this suggestion, I checked to see if cygwin inherited any
TEXMF
related environmental variables, and sure enough, TeXLive sets TEXMFCNF
and TEXMFTMP, which clobbers  cygwin's own TeX/LaTeX installation [tetex].

I unset those environmental variables in the .bashrc and everything can now
work, I built a tar file that will install CJK for big5 using the arphic TTF
fonts
as kai and song over the current cygwin

I put it at

http://by.iis.sinica.edu.tw/cjk-cygwin

Hope this helps someone in the future.

I still can't use cygwin's xdvi with TeXLive's other binaries,
if I get it to work, I'll let everybody know.