[tex-live] Update first

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 17:06:28 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:

> Karl Berry a écrit :
>>     instead of asking first to update bin-texlive texlive.infra, run
>>     two-stage update
>>
>> You mean, automatically do the update of the most critical packages
>> without even asking?  Sorry, I don't like that idea at all.
>>
> Hum, the user asked 'update --all', didn't she ? So...

It is reasonable that "update --all" do as much work as is possible on the
first run, then notify user if more remains to be done.

> By the way, it was the previous behaviour with update --all. So what
> Victor asks would only be to come back to this behaviour, except that
> the order of updates made would be different.
>
> Now, I'm not sure it is technically possible. First, maybe it would
> imply too many changes in tlmgr's code. Second, on windows since we
> can't change the tlmgr while it's running, you'll have to close and
> rerun tlmgr anyway in order for the tlmgr update t be effective before
> the other updates are done.

On windows, users already have to run the post processing batch file.  Would
it work to add the "tlmgr [options] update -all" to this script if the original
invocation was for "update --all"?

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia