[tex-live] x64 libXau

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 17:04:51 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> wrote:

> George N. White III wrote:

>> I think libXau would be installed via package dependencies on most systems
>> that are used to run X applications, so the problem should be limited
>> to systems
>> that are configured without X11.
>>

> that might be it as the x64 server is only used via remote access over, say,
> ssh
>
> should the x64 xdvi be rebuild? if it doesn't actually need libXau?

Well, libXau is the X11 authorization library, so it is generally linked by
any X11 application, even when using ssh tunnels.   Probably the reason
it took some months for this issue to surface is that it is quite rare to have
a system that runs any X11 apps without libXau getting installed.   I
assume there is some difficulty (e.g., "root" must be bribed) that prevents
just installing libXau from the vendor's packages, so here are a couple
suggestions:

0.  just don't use xdvi

1.  run xdvi locally, e.g., using NFS, sshfs, etc to mount the directory that
contains the .dvi files.

2.  it is not true that only root can install .rpm packages -- rpm can be used
to install packages in a user-selected location, but there are tricky
issues with
dependencies.  If you just need one library, you may be able to ignore the
dependencies

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia