[tex-live] bug(?) of tlmgr

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 22 18:36:38 CET 2008

2008/12/21 Ruben Prins <ruben_prins at planet.nl>:
> Yep. The problem is that *if* there's a perldoc somewhere (according to
> TeXLive::TLUtils::which) pod2usage results in calling perldoc with the
> scriptdir in Config.pm (pod2usage simply combines $Config{scriptdir} with
> "perldoc" without checking if it exists). That's causing the problem,
> because most people don't have a perldoc at x:\perl\bin.
>
> And if no perldoc is found, pod2usage is called with a -noperldoc argument,
> so no external program is called. So the problem isn't really with perldoc:
> it isn't even executed as it can't be found.

I can confirm that. I've updated TL (with 'update-tlmgr-latest.exe'
because tlmgr failed - but that's another story) and after that I've
got:

TL F:\Software\TL2008\TL>tlmgr --help
The system cannot find the drive specified.

Changing scriptdir to empty string in Config.pm resulted in:

TL F:\Software\TL2008\TL>tlmgr --help
'\perldoc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Cheers,

Tomek