[tex-live] searching help for files w/o documentation

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Dec 22 13:45:05 CET 2008

George N. White III wrote:

> As for using kpathsea to find file whose name is known in the
> texmf-<whatever>/tex trees, there are also tools that find files
> independent of TL.  "less $(kpsewhich ...)" is just one example.

Which doesn't work here :-)  These are the various iterations
of simplification through which I went before I could persuade
it not to issue an error message --

> C:\Documents and Settings\Chaa006>less $(kpsewhich CJKnumb.sty)
> 'less' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Chaa006>$(kpsewhich CJKnumb.sty)
> '$' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Chaa006>(kpsewhich CJKnumb.sty)
> f:/TeX/Live/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/cjk/CJKnumb.sty
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Chaa006>

Sadly the potentially infinitely more useful

> C:\Documents and Settings\Chaa006>(kpsewhich CJKnumb.*)

produces only

> C:\Documents and Settings\Chaa006>

** Phil.