[tex-live] bug(?) of tlmgr

Ruben Prins ruben_prins at planet.nl
Thu Dec 18 23:20:17 CET 2008

Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Lars Madsen wrote:
>> that is why I wonder, why is it refering to a local drive?
>
>Probably the perldoc versus x: drive thingy we are discussing now.

Yep, that's the most likely reason. Now, as long as there's no fix the
affected Windows users, and if you really need --help, we'll have to do
things by hand, until an official fix comes in:

1. Open ...\texmf\scripts\texlive\tlmgr.pl
2. At line 137, replace

  if (TeXLive::TLUtils::which("perldoc")) {
    pod2usage(-exitstatus => 0, -verbose => 2);
  } else {
    pod2usage(-exitstatus => 0, -verbose => 2, -noperldoc => 1);
  }

with

    pod2usage(-exitstatus => 0, -verbose => 2, -noperldoc => 1);

And then, until the next update, you'll be able to use --help. It's not a
nice thing to do, hacking the tlmgr source code like this, but hacking the
tlperl files or removing perldoc feels even worse.

Ruben