[tex-live] TL2009

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 15:11:13 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>    > Don't bother updating your installation with the help of tlmgr, wait for
>    > the next TeXLive edition.
>
> Actually I think this is a perfectly viable approach unless someone
> actually *needs* a particular update.  After all, this is the first year
> TL has had updates.  That did not make TL useless for the last decade.

It is true. Many (most?) of my esteemed colleagues still use tetex 3.0.

>    2) If there will be TL2009 how installation would be different from
>    TL2008 completely update with tlmgr?
>
> We haven't figured out tl09 deployment yet -- the earliest we can
> realistically hope for is summer 09.  But my expectation is that it
> won't be possible to use tlmgr update to get from 08 to 09.  We have a
> list of infrastructure things we want to improve which cannot be done
> while retaining compatibility with the oh-so-ancient :) version that is
> on the 08 DVD.

And you still distribute this obsolete software?!! :-)

> I'd be curious if it is possible to use the miktex package manager to
> upgrade between significant releases.

I think it is possible (since it was ported to UNIX) but the good
question is that where updates will come from: CTAN or MikTeX website.
If I remember correctly the author of MikTeX has a personal license
from Bill Gates to distribute any packages he wants and you have not
managed to secure such an indulgence :-)

Victor