[tex-live] Installation problems on Windows Vista

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 00:32:13 CET 2008

2008/12/3 Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
> Werner LEMBERG writes:
>  > ...
>
> BTW, it seems that the behavior of execvpe() on Windows originates
> from MS-DOG.  You could only run one process at the same time.  My old
> Atari ST suffered from the same problem.  There had been a system
> function called chain() which allowed a program to replace itself by
> another one.  It seems that execvpe() on Windows is supposed to do
> something very similar.

The reason is that there is no direct equivalent of fork(). It is the
same in OS/2. If you wish to start a new process, you have to use
Windows or OS/2 specific system functions, exec in perl is just kind
of emulation. The fork() function is emulated in OS/2 in EMX and in
Windows in RSX but the Windows port of perl apparently does not make
use of RSX (and I never tried RSX in Vista).

> Regards,
>  Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-3373112
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
> Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz