[tex-live] Installation problems on Windows Vista

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 19:19:22 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:
> Lars Madsen a écrit :
>> how does miktex do it then?
>>
> Not sure, but I think mikTeX just doesn't do it. I assume the MikTeX
> infrastructure doens't change betwees two releases.

I think it has changed -- running miktex in wine on linux or macOSX
there have been updates that include the package manager that
will fail if you just run mpm as you do for other updates.  The trick
for wine is make a copy of mpm.exe in some other location, then run
the copy to get a new mpm.exe in the right place, and finally delete the
old version.    I assume some similar trickery happens behind the
scenes in real windows, but if doesn't work in wine it is a more obscure
level of trickery.

I suppose texlive for windows could just create a copy of the installer
and all the related libraries each time it is run, then discard that
potentially outdated version when it finishes.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia