[tex-live] Installing TeXLive2008 on Cygwin

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Aug 26 01:42:14 CEST 2008

    How can I install the above ?

http://tug.org/texlive/build.html#deploy

    Is there a way to modify the iso so that I
    can use the (linux-like) script install-tl?

After copying the binaries per above, install-tl should basically work.
The only question in my mind is whether the new directory (say,
i386-cygwin) will show up in the architecture list.  (I'm sure it won't
be selected by default.)

    For the sake of completeness, in Work/libs I find a lot of rebuild libs
    (ncurses, png, fretype,...) which Cygwin has as its own packages and
    which I installed...

If the goal is provide binaries for the TeX Live distribution (as
opposed to making them for yourself or for a Cygwin distribution), it is
highly desirable to compile with TeX Live's version of the libraries.

karl