[tex-live] Installing TeXLive2008 on Cygwin

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Aug 26 01:09:34 CEST 2008

George N. White III writes:

 > Xetex may be more difficult simply because it uses more 3rd party libraries
 > (fontconfig, etc.) that may not have suitable ports to Cygwin.

As Angelo said, fontconfig is already supported (version 2.4.1). I
hope it's not too old.

Last night I downloaded Cygwin in order to burn it on a DVD and update
my system at work.  There are two trees, "release" and "release-2".
The latter one is not mentioned in the documentation at all but I
suppose that it's something what Debian people call "testing" or
"unstable".  Can anyone confirm?

Coming back to your statement:

 > it uses more 3rd party libraries [...] that may not have suitable
 > ports to Cygwin.

Let's avoid guessing.  I just derived two files from the Cygwin stuff
I downloaded last night:

   http://tug.org/~kotucha/cygwin/release_content.txt
   http://tug.org/~kotucha/cygwin/release-2_content.txt

These files list all the packages and their version numbers.
Jonathan, can you confirm that Cygwin provides all the libs needed by
XeTeX?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25