[tex-live] Not so good experience with TL net install on windows.

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Aug 25 07:19:31 CEST 2008

Karl Berry wrote:

> I added this text to http://tug.org/texlive/acquire.html and
> ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet/2008/README and
> ftp://tug.org/texlive/Images/test/README:
>
>   If you have problems running TeX after installation, the first thing
>   to check is your environment variables: settings that end up referencing
>   other TeX installations (TeX Live or otherwise), can clearly cause
>   trouble.

May I suggest a re-phrase ?  The VM problem is caused
(almost certainly) by not removing the old environment
variables /before/ installing, so I would suggest :

   Before trying to install TeX Live 2008, it is important
   to check your environment variables : any that reference
   other TeX installations (TeX Live or otherwise) can cause
   problems both during and after installation, so all such
   variables should be deleted.

** Phil.