[tex-live] texdoc: complain_about_old_envvar

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sun Aug 24 22:22:05 CEST 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 09:41:14PM +0200, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Heiko Oberdiek scripsit (24.08.2008 19:06)
> > Several TeX installations (including TL2007, TL2008, ...),
> > it's better I do not describe all details, ... ;-)
> >
> If you don't mind I'd be interested in our favourite way of switching from one
> version to another. I'm currently using symlinks and a special component in my
> $PATH variable to do so, and if you have a better solution...

A symlink can have only one value at a time, whereas different
parallel sessions can have different values for environment
variables, which can be handy if you need to hop back and forth
between e.g. a testing environment and a production environment.

I used to rely exclusively on environment variables, with scripts to
switch between sets of values. But if you want to offer users
something that `just works'(TM) then configuration with environment
variables is not so hot.

--
Siep Kroonenberg