[tex-live] TL2008 installation under Windows

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Wed Aug 13 12:32:42 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 03:03:17AM +0200, Gregor Zimmermann wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> having done a few test installations of TL2008, here are some
> questions/remarks:
>
> 2)
> As far as I can see, the '~/texmf' under TEXMFHOME is not a problem.
> Most users have no idea what TDS is about and certainly do not know
> TEXMF* and their relevance. Therefore these options will remain
> untouched in most (Windows-)cases.
> And the remark that '~' is replaced by 'HOME/USERPROFILE' is nice, but
> won't improve matters much, as those users have no clue about windows
> internals like %USERPROFILE% either.

For other directories, it expands %USERPROFILE%. For TEXMFHOME, it
now says %USERPROFILE%. This reflects the fact that for TEXMFHOME,
the configuration file will contain `~' which for each user expands
to their own `home' directory, whereas for the other directories, it
will be expanded at installation time. I would love a better
phrasing for the TEXMFHOME case, but can't think of anything.

> 3)
> While watching Installation-TV, I saw 'bin.xdvi-win32' scrolling by, but
> after the install there still was no DVI-viewer whatsoever. Is there no
> way to provide one during the Net-install?

The best we can do at this stage is pointing users to dviout in the
online notes.

> 4)
> When the final message window appeared, the following status messages
> were accessible in the accompanying console window:
> 4a)
> [snip]
>> Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at C:\install-tl\install-tl li
>> ne 489.
> [snip]

Fixed.

> 4b)
> [snip]
>> Running f-cache -v -r
>> running mktexlsr C:/texlive/2008/texmf-dist C:/texlive/2008/texmf
>> mktexlsr: Updating C:/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/ls-R...
>> mktexlsr: Updated C:/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/ls-R.
>> mktexlsr: Updating C:/texlive/2008/texmf/ls-R...
>> mktexlsr: Updated C:/texlive/2008/texmf/ls-R.
>> mktexlsr: Done.
> [snip]
> Shouldn't the first line read 'Running fc-cache -v -r'? And shouldn't

Will be fixed.

> fc-cache generate more output -- or is it momentarily disabled due to
> the previous problems while saving the cache? After the installation the
> 'fc-cache -v -r' ran without problems (as admin).

The output has been redirected to the log file.

> 5)
> After closing the finalization message, the corresponding console window
> did not close.

This is on purpose. Apparently, in some situations the finish button
is unavailable to keep the console open to inspect the output.

> 10)
> PS_View: Under Windows 2000, the 'Open file' dialogue did not work.
> However, files could be opened by dropping them on the symbol on the
> desktop.

Confirmed. Another entry for the online notes/bug list.

> 11)
> TeXdoc GUI:

As already mentioned, texdoctk is basically unmaintained, and we
aren't going to fix any problems with it. Another one for the online
notes. So maybe it is not such a hot idea to put a shortcut on the
desktop.

--
Siep Kroonenberg