[tex-live] Perltk-zh.pl in tl2008 has been finished in both simplified and traditional chinese.

hongyi.zhao at gmail.com hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 05:45:22 CEST 2008

On Friday, August 8, 2008 at 21:51, Norbert wrote:
>?On Fr, 08 Aug 2008, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:
>>?"0004"="zh;Chinese"                     -> zh-cn
>>?"0404"="zh-tw;Chinese (Taiwan)"            stet
>>?"0804"="zh-cn;Chinese (China)"             stet
>>?"0C04"="zh-hk;Chinese (Hong Kong SAR)"  -> zh-tw
>>?"1004"="zh-sg;Chinese (Singapore)"      -> zh-cn

Basically, the simplified chinese is mainly used in Chinese Mainland, Malaysia, and Singapore, whereas the traditional chinese is mainly used in Taiwan, Hongkong, Macao and etc.

In spite of the fact of the above territorial use of simplified and traditional chinese, we shouldn't simply do the locale map from all of these to only zh-cn and zh-tw like the above, IMO.  This is because there're many region-specific phrase corresponding to each of the regions.  In detail, though simplified chinese are both used in Chinese and Singapore, they may use a different phrase or word for the same thing.

N B, the files provided by me should only have the correct expression for only Chinese Mainland (zh-cn version) and Chinese Taiwan (zh-tw version).

But, the above requirement perhaps is a bit of rigor!  Just my suggestions.

>?Ok, I have changed the code base so that from now on the installer will
>?support both settings.

>?If someone with Asian Windows can please test the code with tomorrows
>?installer, thanks.

How to do this test?

Sincerely yours,
--
Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>
Xinjiang Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry