[tex-live] Further feedback on the TeX Live 2008 network installer under Win/XP

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Aug 7 21:14:51 CEST 2008

Siep Kroonenberg wrote:

 > It is explained more fully later on. `install-tl' is what you would
 > type on the command-line. So, while some people might get confused,
 > I still think that the explanation is appropriate for this place in
 > the manual.

Perhaps we are talking about a different document.  I am
referring to readme.en.html, where it reads : "The installation
script is now named install-tl, and has both GUI (default on
Windows) and text (default on everything else) operation modes.
You can force one or the other with the options -gui and -no-gui,
respectively."  Now there is no suggestion that any command-line
work is required at all : I, like perhaps many users, interpreted
that (a la Windows) as meaning "Double-click on the file named
"install-tl" in order to launch the installer".  Of course, seeing
both "install-tl" and "install-tl.bat", I knew enough to double-
click on the latter, but even I (no immodesty intended) didn't
realise that double-clicking was not the intended launch method
and that I should first launch a CMD window ...

The whole issue of needing to first run CMD could be avoided
if "install-tl.bat" contained (rather than its present
contents) "%ComSpec% /K Do-install", where  "Do-install.bat"
would contain the present contents of  "install-tl.bat".

** Phil.