[tex-live] tlmgr problem

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Aug 7 16:12:19 CEST 2008

Hi,

Yue Wang scripsit (07.08.2008 12:04)
> [yuewang at localhost ~]$ sudo tlmgr update --all
> Couldn't set up the necessary programs.
> Installation of packages is not supported.
> Please report to texlive at tug.org.

A few days ago, Norbert added a test in tlmgr to check the the necessary
programs (tar, lzma, wget) are found and working. You get this message when on
of this test fails.

> I am using FreeBSD 8-CURRENT.

However, an early version of this test assumed all tar's had a --version
option, like GNU tar, which is not the case of some BSD tar's. This is now
fixed, but it looks like you're stuck with an old version.

I suggest that you update TLUtils.pm manually from the svn, or make a fresh
install with a recent version.

> What exactly information (log?) should I provide to find out the
> solution of the problem? Thanks.

Please try one of the above and report again if it still doesn't work, with
the output of tlmgr using the -v option.

Thanks,
Manuel.