[tex-live] Extended TeX : Integration with the TeX Live Package Manager ?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 22:41:45 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Philip TAYLOR
<Philip-and-LeKhanh at royal-tunbridge-wells.org> wrote:

> Noting how slow a network install of Scheme:full is
> (I'm up to "functan", after one failure and several
> elapsed hours), I wonder whether any thought has
> been given (or is being given) to the idea of
> integrating an extended TeX with the TeX Live Package
> Manager ?  The idea I have in mind would require
> the addition of one primitive, called (say) \Requires,
> which would take as parameter the name of a TeX Live
> collection.  The extended TeX would then liaise with
> the Package Manager to see whether the required package
> wa already installed, and if not, would ask the PM to
> commence the download.  The idea can obviously be
> extended to allow not only collections, but other
> levels of granularity (such as languages) which the
> PM supports, perhaps right down to the level of
> individual files.  Is this work-in-progress, does
> anyone know ?

MikTeX has it, but without reliable connections to a
CTAN server, isn't going to be much help.  If your
access is like mine, it works better in the early AM,
but then you want a program to do the transfers
automatically.

I don't think network installs are suitable for everyone.
They make sense if you have a nearby reliable server,
as in a campus network with a local CTAN mirror, but
are problematic not only for texlive, but also for linux
package managers, if your network access is not
robust.

I too found network installs of TL very painful.  I gave that up
in favor of installing (using --location) from a local svn Master
directory.  I use rsync to maintain local repositories for TeX Live
and also MikTeX.  These get updated each night.   I'm
using linux, but the same can be done on Windows.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia