[tex-live] Can the ActivePerl be used to substitute the perl engine in tl2008 under windows?

hongyi.zhao hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 09:16:54 CEST 2008

>On So, 03 Aug 2008, hongyi.zhao wrote:
>> Can I use it to substitute the perl engine in tl2008 under windows to perform some jobs such as: updmap?
>
>In principle yes, but why do you want to? The shipped perl is quite
>small and will not interfer in any way with the rest of the system. No
>environmental variables, not path changes, nothing.

I sometimes use my system in powershadow mode (http://www.powershadow.com)  to avoid the system from virus,  in this case, I can copy all of my installed files of TL2008 from C:\Program Files to a customized folder for my testing.  When I restart my system, the perl built in TL2008 will not be found by updmap at all, so I must install a perl by myself for the purpose.

Sincerely yours,