[tex-live] TexLive 2007 & russian language support (on Win32 platform)

Mikhail Filimonov mvf at uniyar.ac.ru
Wed Sep 5 13:50:49 CEST 2007

*Norbert Preining wrote:*
> first run created all the fonts and the correct dvi file.

In my case it doesn't.
To be precise, here are steps to reproduce:

1) I have WinXP SP2 russian version (and updates) & Tex-Live DVD image
(texlive2007-live-20070212.iso).
2) Using "TexLive Installation and maintenance unility, 2007", i set up
environment to run from DVD. It also installs Ghostscript & DVI viewer.
3) After that i edit file "c:\TeXLive2007\texmf-var\web2c\texmf.cnf"
according to this recommendations http://tug.org/texlive/bugs.html
MKTEXPK = 1
  MKTEXMF = 1
  MKTEXTFM = 1
  MKTEXFMT = 1
4) I run command "latex slides.tex" (slides.tex is in slides.tgz -
attached), and compilations stops (see <number>_run.log in slides.tgz),
i just press "enter".
  In files <number>_run.con - console output (it also shows calls of
metafont) 5) step 4 repeats dozen(!!) times - all log files attached. At
every run latex adds one string to the file "missfont.log"   And only
after that I get my pdf file.

All logs attached. Don't pay attantion at hyperref's warnings in logs -
hyperref doesn't like russian letters when producing PDF, it's normal.
Situation can be reproduced without reinstalling - several files should
be deleted (if exists):
c:\TeXLive2007\texmf-var\fonts\tfm\lh\lh-t2a\la??????.tfm
?:\TeXLive2007\texmf-var\fonts\source\lh\lh-t2a\la??????.mf