[tex-live] obsolete Latin hyphenation files

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 4 23:22:17 CEST 2007

Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> > Thanks.  Regarding lahyph.tex, it was updated after the TL07 release,
> > and I didn't notice (hyphenation files are difficult).  I'll update that.
>
> There were two different files on CTAN, now
>   CTAN:macros/latex/required/babel/lahyph.tex
> is a symbolic link to
>   CTAN:macros/language/lahyph.tex

there is one file
  language/hyphenation/lahyph.tex
and macros/latex/required/babel/lahyph.tex  links to it.

there is no macros/language -- what you wrote was obviously a mistake.

the reason that there's a file name lahyph.tex in babel, at all, is
historic.  claudio sent the first version of the file to johannes, ages
ago, and johannes put it into babel rather than suggesting it should go
in the canonical ctan place (at the time, language/hyphenation had
lahyph7 and lahyph8).  he subsequently asked us to tidy it up: the link
is therefore attempting to hide the confusion caused by that change.  we
could probably kill the link, now (it's obviously not mirrored from
johannes' site now).

robin