[tex-live] dvipng woes

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Oct 10 23:56:57 CEST 2007

Hi Paul,

It's not clear to me that --enable-selfauto-set is really the answer
(though it's certainly possible).  (la)tex uses the same mechanism to
find files, so if latex is finding tfm's, I don't see offhand why dvipng
wouldn't find maps.  Isn't dvipng installed in the same directory as
latex?

In any case, to answer your question, I don't know if
--enable-selfauto-set was specified or not.  I doubt it; I don't think
"pretending" anything would be appropriate for the distribution version.
I tried to find a unique string that would be in the binary, but nothing
was immedately apparent.

You could download dvipng from CTAN (or wherever) and configure/compile
a version yourself; it's just a single standalone binary, so it's easy
enough to try putting a different version in place.

Alternatively, if you can get the envvar KPATHSEA_DEBUG set to -1, stderr
should accumulate a whole lot of messages about where it's trying to
find files.  Groveling through that should pin down precisely why it's
failing to find the files.  (Perhaps -D -1 will have the same effect, I
don't know.)

Hope this helps.

karl