[tex-live] TeX-Live (Mac version) question

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Oct 5 15:27:42 CEST 2007

On 5 Oct 2007, at 2:01 pm, Lantz Susan wrote:

> I'm a new member of the list, and a new user of TeX-Live (MacTeX),
> although I've been using TeX for more than 15 years. I'm running
> MacTeX on a Mac iBook G4 with OS X 10.4.6. I installed MacTeX last
> weekend without any problem, and it has run without a hitch (once I
> realized I had created the texmf folder for my personal style files
> in the wrong library).
>

> I have always used plain TeX or AMS-TeX. Since MacTex didn’t
> install the AMS-TeX format (is there a reason for that?), I’m
> wondering if I create it by running
>
> \input amstex.tex
>
> \dump
>
> and ``typesetting'' it using Initex? I'm also not certain where I
> should put the format file once I've created it. (The instructions
> I found on the AMS site are for Windows.)

Even simpler: you should be able to run

     fmtutil --byfmt amstex

in the Terminal, and the format file will be created and installed
for you.

This will install the format in your personal home directory (in the
hidden .texlive2007 tree); alternatively,

     sudo -H fmtutil-sys --byfmt amstex

will install it in the system-wide texmf-var tree. Either should work
fine, as I guess you're not sharing this system with other TeX users.

JK