[tex-live] post build of source.tar.bz2 (updmap-sys and kpsewhich)

Edd Barrett vext01 at gmail.com
Thu May 31 22:01:13 CEST 2007

On 31/05/07, Hartmut Henkel <hartmut_henkel at gmx.de> wrote:
> these are right for dvipdfm(x). I would remove anything below map/ and
> copy fresh stuff over from a decent TeX Live installation into the right
> places, and then look how it behaves.

These files came right from the DVD that was posted to me as a part of
my TUG membership. Admittedy it was not a texlive install. I wrote a
python script which does the following:

- You invoke it with the path to a .tpm file (in my case scheme-tetex
because it is small)
- It reads the tpm file and adds RunFiles, DocFiles and SourceFiles to
lists of things to install.
- It then traverses TPM:TLCore and TPM:Package entries reading their
corresponding tpm files and adds files from there to the lists too and
so on....
- When all of the regression is complete, I copy the files in the
lists into a folder.
- I build source.tar.bz2 against the resulting texmf and texmf-dist
(This stage is automated my the ports system).

I spoke to Norbert Preining regarding this method in great detail, so
it should be correct. It is similar to what they are doing with debian
by the sounds of it.

Btw, the tools updmap-sys,
> texhash, texconfig-sys and so on belong to your installation. Try
> "which". Is it what you expect?

Yes, theyre from source.tar.bz2. There is no other tex distro installed.

After reading the output from updmap again, I noticed something that
might not be correct:

updmap: This is updmap, version 1167072206
updmap: using transcript file `/usr/local/share/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.log'
updmap: initial config file is `/usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg'
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/share/texmf-config/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.
updmap: configuration file updated:
`/usr/local/share/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg'

updmap is creating new map files using the following configuration:

  config file: `/usr/local/share/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg'
  dvips output directory: `/usr/local/share/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap'
  pdftex output directory: `/usr/local/share/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap'
  dvipdfm output directory:
`/usr/local/share/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap'

  prefer outlines: `true'
  texhash enabled: `true'
  download standard fonts (dvips): `false'
  download standard fonts (pdftex): `true'
  download standard fonts (dvipdfm): `true'

Creating new config files?!? Hmmm..

I have uploaded the full output here:
http://students.dec.bmth.ac.uk/ebarrett/texl_tmp/UPDMAP-SYS-20070531.log

Thanks