[tex-live] Misplaced file(s): mathdots

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Thu May 31 21:55:13 CEST 2007

Hello:

The file mathdots.tex from my mathdots package should be
accessible to plain tex, and so should be in the tex inputs tree
    texmf-dist/tex/generic/mathdots/
But in TeXLive2007 (installed from CD) it is located in
    texmf-dist/doc/generic/mathdots/

There are two other packages with this same problem:
1. In package "splitindex"
      texmf-dist/doc/latex/splitindex/splitindex.tex
    is macro code that is supposed to be installed in the same
    directory as splitindex.sty (according to install.txt):
     texmf-dist/tex/latex/splitindex/
2. In package "variations"
      texmf-dist/doc/latex/variations/variations.tex
    should be where variations.sty is located (according to README):
      texmf-dist/tex/latex/variations/
    (though README suggests tex/generic/ for both).

Regards,
Dan Luecking

[PS:
This has happened a few times in past TeXLives and in other TeX
distributions. It seems highly likely there will be other
such misplacements in the future (and even now). Is there a way
of packaging things for CTAN so that this is less likely to
happen (apart from a tds ready zip archive)?

In the present version of mathdots, both mathdots.{tex,sty}
are generated from mathdots.dtx and the README tells what to
do with them. I'm considering adding a <packagename>.tds file
(with a list of generated files in their suggested locations)
for all my packages. If I knew the format of a tpm file, I'd make
one or edit an existing one.
]

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" --Adam Savage