[tex-live] post build of source.tar.bz2 (updmap-sys and kpsewhich)

Edd Barrett vext01 at gmail.com
Thu May 31 20:00:55 CEST 2007

Hi Hartmut,

On 31/05/07, Hartmut Henkel <hartmut_henkel at gmx.de> wrote:
> and also, actually which pdftex.map has been read in? From which
> directory? I would first locate _any_and_all_ pdftex.map files in the
> overall BSD system (there might be several). Then, in which of these
> appears a map line that starts e. g. with lcbm2488? How does the rest of
> the line look like? Do you know why this line is in this pdftex.map? If
> not, why not scrap the pdftex.map? In which directory is this
> pdftex.map? Does this directory have any relationship to the ported TeX
> tree? Questions... :-)

There are indeed 2 map files floating around, which I was completely
unaware of. Unfortunately,  removing the old one does not abolish the

I'll try to provide some information in order to clarify my environment.

Statring from the beginning. If you install texlive using the ports
infrastructure, my sources are downloaded and built and installed.

in /usr/local/share/texmf and /uar/local/share/texmf-dist is a
"scheme-tetex.tpm" tree (created by a python script I have written).
At this stage the ports system has run mktexlsr and fmtutil-sys for
me. They work fine. updmap-sys has NOT yet been run (when I figure
this out it will be done my the ports system).

1 map exists for pdftex:
$ cd /usr/local/share
$ find . -name 'pdftex.map' -print

Here is a really simple tex file:
$ cat test.tex
This is a test.

Does it build now....
$ pdflatex test.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang, noh
yphenation, arabic, basque, bulgarian, coptic, welsh, czech, slovak, german, ng
erman, danish, esperanto, spanish, catalan, galician, estonian, farsi, finnish,
 french, greek, monogreek, ancientgreek, croatian, hungarian, interlingua, ibyc
us, indonesian, icelandic, italian, latin, mongolian, dutch, norsk, polish, por
tuguese, pinyin, romanian, russian, slovenian, uppersorbian, serbian, swedish,
turkish, ukenglish, ukrainian, loaded.
Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size11.clo)) (./test.aux) [1{/usr/l
ocal/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] (./test.aux) )</usr/local
Output written on test.pdf (1 page, 5545 bytes).
Transcript written on test.log.

Yes. Note which map it is using

So now let us run updmap-sys --syncwithtrees.

# updmap-sys --syncwithtrees

[ Snip...]

texhash: Done.

updmap: Files generated:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  153455 May 31 19:05
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  154082 May 31 19:05
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    8917 May 31 19:05
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   12976 May 31 19:05
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  303649 May 31 19:05
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  199610 May 31 19:05
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  299596 May 31 19:05
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  303656 May 31 19:05
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  302106 May 31 19:05

This is the state that the system was in when I originally posted. See
the first post for the errors.

And now search for pdftex maps:
$ find . -name 'pdftex.map' -print

As you suggested, it makes sense to delete the old one. So lets move it away:
# mv /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map /tmp

And try building the test tex file:
$ pdflatex test.tex

[snip lots of similar errors for many fonts..]

pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file /usr/local/share/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updm
ap/pdftex.map): ambiguous entry for `labx1440': font file present but not inclu
ded, will be treated as font file not present
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Which is the same problem.

In the only existing map file (in texmf-var) exists the line:
labx1440 cm-super-t2a sfbx1440 -r

In the map that I moved out of the way is the line:
labx1440 SFBX1440 "T2AEncoding ReEncodeFont" <cm-super-t2a.enc <sfbx1440.pfb

Needless to say the lines differ.

Now I am in uncharted territory. I am not familar with the internals of maps.

The error suggests that the font is in duplicate maps? I ran this just
as a test, but it might be irrelevant:

$ grep -r labx1440 *
texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map:labx1440 cm-super-t2a sfbx1440 -r
texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_dl14.map:labx1440 cm-super-t2a
sfbx1440 -r
texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_ndl14.map:labx1440 cm-super-t2a
sfbx1440 -r
texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/ps2pk.map:labx1440 SFBX1440 "T2AEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <cm-super-t2a.enc <sfbx1440.pfb
texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map:labx1440 SFBX1440
"T2AEncoding ReEncodeFont" <cm-super-t2a.enc <sfbx1440.pfb
texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map:labx1440 SFBX1440
"T2AEncoding ReEncodeFont" <cm-super-t2a.enc <sfbx1440.pfb
texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_dl14.map:labx1440 SFBX1440
"T2AEncoding ReEncodeFont" <cm-super-t2a.enc <sfbx1440.pfb
texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_ndl14.map:labx1440 SFBX1440
"T2AEncoding ReEncodeFont" <cm-super-t2a.enc <sfbx1440.pfb
cm-super-t2a sfbx1440 -r
texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map:labx1440 cm-super-t2a
sfbx1440 -r
texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/ps2pk.map:labx1440 cm-super-t2a sfbx1440 -r
texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map:labx1440 cm-super-t2a sfbx1440 -r
cm-super-t2a sfbx1440 -r
cm-super-t2a sfbx1440 -r
texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map:labx1440 cm-super-t2a sfbx1440 -r
texmf-var/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_dl14.map:labx1440 default
cm-super-t2a -r
texmf-var/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_ndl14.map:labx1440 default
cm-super-t2a -r
texmf-var/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map:labx1440 default cm-super-t2a -r

Thanks for your continued support!

Best Regards



More information about the tex-live mailing list