[tex-live] Removed mathtime fonts -> missing metrics for belleek

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu May 31 01:56:21 CEST 2007

    The instructions to get belleek working properly

Thanks for this.  What I really need is for someone to upload a
"belleek" package to CTAN which does the right thing.  I don't want to
try to automate editing mathtime files!

    license of the mathtime metrics is unknown, which would probably mean
    that Debian can't distribute them

Looking at the original Y&Y distribution of MathTime, I see this nonfree
statement:

> The metric files may be copied as long as they are not changed
> and the copyright information is retained.

   (if font metrics are copyrightable,

Yes, that's the real question.  I don't recall that that point has ever
really been argued.  It is common practice to make font X "compatible"
with font Y, meaning that they have the same (or "essentially" the same)
metrics.

E.g., if someone constructed new metrics for belleek that just happen to
have the same numbers as the mathtime metrics, I don't exactly see how
that would be infringing.  Don't know ...

Remains a mess.

karl