[tex-live] The suggestions (from tex-d-l) (Re: Comment on Re: TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation))

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu May 24 23:16:35 CEST 2007

On 5/24/07, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> "George N. White III" <gnwiii at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > http://www.tina-vision.net/tina-knoppix/remastering.html explains
> > how to use the -sort option of mkisofs to order files.  If one was
> > to apply this to a live DVD, however, I'd suggest sorting for
> > optimal performance on typical latex tasks rather than to make
> > installs go faster.
>
> Putting things close on the DVD that belong to the same package and/or
> collection does not sound like it would harm live performance.

Within a package you have docs (rarely accessed) and macros
(accessed in every run that uses the package).   With a decent OS,
however, repeated runs should benefit from cache, so file placement
may not have a big impact for typical processing.

One possibility is to generate a sort order for the DVD based on
whatever criteria seems best, then use that with the file lists to
generate lists that are in the DVD's ordering.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia