[tex-live] Comment on Re: TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation)

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu May 24 11:21:27 CEST 2007

2007/5/24, Oliver Bandel <oliver at first.in-berlin.de>:
> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 07:23:36PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > David Kastrup wrote:
> > >"George N. White III" <gnwiii at gmail.com> writes:
> [...]

> And btw. it's also possible to create filenames that have spaces
> on the command line.
> The problem is, that most (all?) shells doesn't handle them correctly.
>
> So, we need to invent at least one shell, that does not have a problem
> with such names.

The problem is that the special characters have to be re-escaped if
the parameter is sent to some other program. Imagine a simple (somehow
foolish) script:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Number of parameters = $#"
if [ $# -eq 1 ]
then
  ./param $1
fi

If you call it with an escaped space within the first parameter, you'll get:

[wagner at cluster1 wagner]$ ./param some\ text
Number of parameters = 1
Number of parameters = 2

Beware! If you call this script with one parameter, you will fall into
an endless loop!

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/