[tex-live] Comment on Re: TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation)

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed May 23 20:21:12 CEST 2007

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> Part of my experiences in that respect are that a large part of the
>> workload for getting a Windows-usable installer is to write a correct
>> one for *x which is surprisingly hard to do.  No sane person will
>> under *x use filenames with spaces and other special characters in
>> them.
>>
> hm, this qualifies all osx users as insane as well as users from
> content management systems running on *ix or just simple users like me
> who store music collections (with titles and such having special
> chars) on a unix nas

If you install your typical TeX distribution or application in a
subtree of your music collection, I'd still not be very much convinced
about your general level of sanity.

The normal places for applications and home directories on *ix systems
don't have special characters in their containing hierarchy.  The
normal places for applications and the equivalent of home directories
under Windows _have_.

So even if the application itself does not contain special file names,
absolute file names on Unix systems during the installation tend to be
non-special, and on Windows tend to be special.