[tex-live] Comment on Re: TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation)

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed May 23 07:05:59 CEST 2007

"Nelson H. F. Beebe" <beebe at math.utah.edu> writes:

> Members of the Bourne shell family include the original /bin/sh,
> plus bash, ksh (1988, 1993), pdksh, and zsh.  On GNU/Linux systems,
> /bin/sh IS bash, and that fact trips up many a shell programmer.

On Ubuntu, it tends to be dash.

> If a simple, freely-distributable, standalone POSIX shell for
> Windows (NT, ME, 2000, XP, VISTA, ...) could be found, along with
> the set of several dozen command-line utilities required by POSIX,
> then an installer written as a POSIX shell script could easily
> handle all current platforms on which TeX Live is likely to be
> installed.

Uh, you know MSYS <URL:http://www.mingw.org/msys.shtml>?  It is pretty
capable of supporting autoconf-based installations.  AUCTeX
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex> is configured and installed
using it on Windows, with the same procedures we use under Unix
systems.