[tex-live] TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation)

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed May 23 01:07:53 CEST 2007

Karl Berry wrote:
>     Will the lists be created during installation process?
>
> No, they are pregenerated.
>
>     BTW: how will *.sh be used on windows?
>
> They aren't.  Windows installation has always been completely separate
> from Unix installation.  One thing we would like to overcome, but it is
> not trivial.

maybe like but not that much needed

from the users perspective the installer he/she gets should look
familiar i.e. fit the platform

platforms differ and have different strategies and philosophies (apples
i installer is a good example of an perfect installer for osx, as is
miktex for windows, but they are rather alien to other os's); also,
afaik other progs (take firefox or open office) use platform dependent
installers that suit the specific platform

of course sharing resources needed by installers is a different thing
and welcome

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE