[tex-live] Non-free parts within TeXLive 2007

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue May 15 22:45:31 CEST 2007

    mreadme seems (to me) to say that documentation is available in the tex
    collection, but that it's subject to a licence that means it shouldn't
    be in the tex collection.

The TeX *Collection* has never claimed to be 100% free (and never has
been, either).
It is the TeX Live distribution where we try to strictly adhere to
free-as-in-freedom.

TC has always contained nonfree material (since before it was called
TC).  gsview as part of protext, the ctan snapshot with various
special-permission-to-copy packages, and various files outside of any
distribution -- including the context manuals.  This is why, I imagine,
they say that the doc is in the TC.  (Last year there was a variety of
nonfree programs in mactex, but they were all excised in the 2007
release, to the best of my knowledge.)

Hoping this will clarify rather than confuse,
karl