[tex-live] Different versions of epstopdf?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue May 1 10:11:51 CEST 2007

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

>   > Begin forwarded message:
>   >>> What is going on? I think that I am using this:
>   >>> /usr/local/texlive/ 2007/bin/powerpc-darwin/epstopdf Isn't that
>   >>> the one that is described at
>   >>> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/epstopdf/ ?
>
>   > Should the perl version of epstopdf in TL be retired in favour of
>   > the c-coded version? What speaks against it is that it requires a
>   > Ghostscript which is not part of TL. If a gs-independent epstopdf
>   > has a role apart from a gs-dependent one, it is unfortunate that
>   > the c- coded version has the same name.
>
> I sent two bug reports to Heiko some years ago and he fixed the bugs
> in the Perl version.  The author of the C version did not reply to the
> bug reports I sent to him  and the files on CTAN are still from 2001.
>
> Gerben, the version we currently have in TL is yours.  This is up to
> date and I do not see any good reason to replace it by anything else
> at the moment.

so, we have the current epstopdf (perl) together with a wildly
out-of-date epstopdf (c) in the same directory on ctan.

is there any reason that we shouldn't move the obsolete one to the ctan
obsolete tree?  i'll do that tomorrow morning unless i hear any
complaint.

it would be nice to have an up-to-date c version on ctan, if such a
thing exists, but if it's too delicate to exist on the archive, i guess
we'll have to live without it.

Robin Fairbairns

For the CTAN team