[tex-live] buf-size

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Mar 30 17:21:34 CEST 2007

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

> It seems that the buffer size of pdftex is maximized to 300K while in
> practice much larger files show up (at least here); for instance xml
> files can be 1 meg one-liners.
>
> Is it possible to set the max to (say) 10.000.000? (tex.web)

I think that is crazy.  It would make much more sense not to require
the input buffer to actually contain beginning and end of line at the
same time, but rather take it as a buffer into the input line.  It may
require some web2c support to do this since Pascal is pretty much
line-based IIRC, but setting aside 10MB for the input line buffer is
just absurd.  Actually, setting aside 300k is ridiculous already.

We should reduce this to something like 4k or so and change the code
to cater with incomplete lines, or this madness will go on with ever
bigger sizes and discussions.

Perhaps one should bring up this issue on the TeX-implementors list?

--
David Kastrup