[tex-live] Debian TeX -- new packages

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Mar 24 18:38:27 CET 2007

On 24 Mar 2007, at 5:10 pm, George N. White III wrote:

> Does fc-list find lmodern?

This is not necessary for the OP's example, as the default in
fontspec.sty is to load the LM fonts from the texmf tree by filename
(using kpathsearch), not by locating "installed" fonts via
fontconfig. I think the problem was an older LM package that perhaps
had different filenames or something like that.

> You can try "xetex --no-pdf <file>" followed by "dvipdfmx -vv
> <file>.xdv" and "strace dvipdfmx <file>.xdv" to see where the fonts
> are found.

(That would be "xdvipdfmx", not "dvipdfmx".)

> I tried the following experiment with "real" TL2007:
>
> A. original default configuration -- the lmodern fonts are found via
> the .map file.  pdffonts lists type 1 fonts.
>
> B.  fc configuration:
>
>   1) "updmap-sys --edit" to remove the lm entries
>
>   2) create symbolic links of the lmodern .otf fonts in ~/.fonts, then
> fc-cache and fc-list to verify that the fonts are found.

This would be needed for them to be found using something like

   \setromanfont{Latin Modern Roman}

but is not needed for

   \setromanfont{[lmroman10]}

which is the form fontspec's default configuration uses.

(Names might not be exactly correct here, but it's the principle of
font name vs. filename that is at issue.)

JK