[tex-live] Debian TeX -- new packages

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 18:10:20 CET 2007

On 3/24/07, Atsuhito Kohda <kohda at pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Hi Norbert and all, I'm not so sure but I encounterd a bit
> problem with these packages.

I also encountered a few glitches, but didn't have time to really
explore the differences between the debian packages and the
original TL2007 install.  The thing that stick in my mind are the
instructions for adding the lm fonts to the updmap configuration,
which had "test" in one filename where "text" is meant and the
requirement to add the mapfile fragment to a list in /var.

I didn't get far with xetex -- the format lines were commented out
in the generated fmtutil.cnf file.  Further investigations will have
to wait until I'm near a debian machine again.

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:00:59 +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
>
> > We ask people using Debian to try these packages out, they survived all
> > my tests and quite a lot of documents I tried out, but YMMV.
>
> When I xelatex a small sample file, I got an error message
> as follows (I pressed enter key for ? prompt);
>
> (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/xelatex/euenc/lm/eu1lmr.fd)
> ! Font EU1/lmr/m/n/10=[lmroman10-regular] at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
> file or installed font not found.
> <to be read again>
>                    relax
> l.100 \fontencoding\encodingdefault\selectfont
>
> ?
> )
> fontspec.cfg loaded.
> (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/xelatex/fontspec/fontspec.cfg))
>
> There seems no problem with a generated PDF.  Is this a real
> problem with texlive-xetex or lmodern or possible my fault?

I think the lmodern package doesn't do all the configuration needed.
Perhaps this is because there are some decisions to make, e.g.,
do you want to substitute lmodern for cm using the lm-rep-*.map
files?

Does fc-list find lmodern?

You can try "xetex --no-pdf <file>" followed by "dvipdfmx -vv
<file>.xdv" and "strace dvipdfmx <file>.xdv" to see where the fonts
are found.

I tried the following experiment with "real" TL2007:

A. original default configuration -- the lmodern fonts are found via
the .map file.  pdffonts lists type 1 fonts.

B.  fc configuration:

   1) "updmap-sys --edit" to remove the lm entries

   2) create symbolic links of the lmodern .otf fonts in ~/.fonts, then
fc-cache and fc-list to verify that the fonts are found.

  with this configuration pdffonts gives (for the example below):

name                                                       type
------------------------------------                  ------------
BSOVBZ+LMRoman10-Regular-Identity-H  CID Type 0C

> A short sample file is (in UTF-8)
> ----------------------------
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \begin{document}
> Typesetted by XeLaTeX
> \end{document}
> ----------------------------
>
> I use Debian testing and related packages are;
> ii  lmodern        1.01-1         scalable PostScript fonts based on Computer
> ii  texlive-xetex  2007-1         TeX Live: XeTeX macros
>
> I'm very sorry if this is already known problem.
>
> Regards,                          2007-3-24(Sat)
>
> --
>  Debian Developer & Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
>  Atsuhito Kohda <kohda AT debian.org>
>  Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia