[tex-live] Scripts "set -e" (was: Installation Report TL 2007)

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Thu Mar 22 21:31:06 CET 2007

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

>     I really suggest to make scripts "set -e".
>
> My experience is that that causes far more problems than it solves.

What problems do you expect or did you experience?  In Debian, it's
mandatory that all maintainer scripts are "set -e".   The cases where
this causes problems are very rare, and usually they mean that the
author did not thoroughly think about what the tools actually do, in
other words: These errors are a good thing.

On the other hand, Debian maintainer scripts probably get much more
testing in diverse environments than TL install scripts.  But if we
submit patches for say fmutil to make it work with "set -e", would you
accept them?

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster