[tex-live] No room for a new \write

Philip & Le Khanh Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org
Sat Mar 17 11:32:39 CET 2007

Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> I don't know and don't understand why the number of write/read
> registers weren't increased in e-TeX like other registers.
> Write nodes have enough place for storing much larger register
> numbers.

I'm sure we debated it (endlessly !).  But to be honest,
I don't remember why it wasn't increased, although the
pre-emptive strike on \write 18 /might/ have had something
to do with it (too many broken programs).  I've cc'd
Peter, Bernd, Friedhelm \& Jiri in case one of them
remembers, but with e-PdfTeX now in the hands of
Taco /et al/, it is really he/they who would need to
address this issue for the future.

** Phil.