[tex-live] documentation

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Fri Mar 16 09:16:20 CET 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 08:19:36AM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:

> It's a bit tricky in some cases, though, namely when there's more than
> one file of documentation.  For example, Heiko has explicitly refused to
> rename hyperref's manual.pdf to hyperref.pdf,

Of course I could delete the source hyperref.dtx. Then
the name "hyperref.pdf" would be free and manual.pdf
could be renamed.

But it is a little difficult to maintain hyperref without source.
Thus hyperref.pdf already exists and if you look into it you
will find pointers to the other hyperref documentation files
on the first page. Thus it is quite easy to find manual.pdf
using "texdoc hyperref".

Also most documentation files of hyperref contain links
to the other documentation files at the end of the bookmarks.

> because he thinks that the
> other documents are important as well.  He wishes to be able to give the
> documentation a new unified structure, but until this is done, he
> prefers not to give the impression that it would be sufficient to read
> only one document.

Currently there are *nine* documentation files covering three packages.
Thus texdoc have to live with the fact that there can be
packages/bundles whose documentation consists of more than one file.
Example:
"texdoc color" will find color.pdf. However, the user documentation
for package color is part of grfguide.pdf.

> I fear we have to live with that and should not use aliases to work
> around it.

texdoc could present a menu of some kind with several entries,
if a package has several documentation files.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>