[tex-live] Bug in TexLive 2005 and 2007? Non-writable aux-file

Philip & Le Khanh Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org
Sat Mar 10 12:10:14 CET 2007

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> This is basically a single application on a single operating system
>> phenomenon (Acrobat reader on Windows).
>
> Near everybody in the real world out there uses Windows (either
> by choice or because of policy decisions), and almost all of those
> users use Acrobat reader to look at PDFs.

Hear hear.

> The Reader is a badly designed program, but unless you know of an
> alternative that can display PDFs with the same quality and same
> extensive feature set, we are stuck with it.

Even if there were/is an alternative, few will choose to
use it.  PDF /is/ Adobe, so the reader of choice is Adobe's
reader.

> Somebody on tex-implementors suggested an Abort/Retry/Fail approach
> like DOS used to have, and that makes sense to me. Definately on
> Windows, but I would like to have that as well (and I am on linux).

I meant to respond to that (it was Fabrice's suggestion -- see below) :
I would not like the current behaviout to change in such a dramatic way
(two answers needed where one is currently sufficient), but I can see
the benefit in adding  new primitives to e-TeX to specify how such errors
are to be handled by default, e.g.,

	\onopeninerror {}
	\onopenouterror {}
	\onreaderror {}