[tex-live] Win32 run from DVD, customization and paper size

poti giannakouros potiatpotisdotorg at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 06:03:17 CET 2007

Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote: Hello Poti,

Regarding paper sizes: it is true that the default paper size is
included in the .fmt files.  Assuming you don't have to simultaneously
both a4 and letter, you should build the .fmt's with the one you need
and include them on your DVD as files like:
texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/pdftex.fmt
texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex.fmt

I mentioned posting these files in 'Running Live - no access to C drive,' but
 maybe they are more appropriate here, Intending to make all the formats that
might be needed by another user, I made the following changes in the files
indicated:
  c:/TeXLive2007/texmf-var/dvipdfm/config/config
in dvipdfm
I changed
% Set default paper size here
p letter
in  c:/TeXLive2007/texmf-var/dvips/config/config.ps
I moved
@ letterSize 8.5in 11in
@+ ! %%DocumentPaperSizes: Letter

@ letter 8.5in 11in
@+ ! %%DocumentPaperSizes: Letter
@+ %%BeginPaperSize: Letter
@+ letter
@+ %%EndPaperSize

before
% 0 0 595 842 is the right bounding box that most applications expect
% for A4.  Since dvips always rounds up, choose something slightly smaller.
----------------------------------
in   c:/TeXLive2007/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex
I changed
\pdfpagewidth=8.5 true in
\pdfpageheight=11 true in
-----------------------------------
in   c:/TeXLive2007/texmf-var/xdvi/XDvi
*paper: letter
I then ran
c:\localtexmf\dvipdfm\config>fmtutil.exe --all

and moved the resulting texmf-var to the DVD root and changed
texmf-var to point to it. I am still having some problems that I suspect
are pertinent to others trying to run with no C: drive, as mentioned
in the other thread, but I presume this procedure took care of all my
paper sizes?