[tex-live] hosting inst image

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Fri Mar 2 03:37:02 CET 2007

2007/3/2, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
> I'm not sure that bitorrent is the ultimate solution.  The download
> rates you mention do not sound very impressive.  Maybe I hesitate
> because I did not yet understand completely how bitorrent works.  I

The wikipedia article explains it quite well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent
Basically you combine many slow uploads into one fast download.

> have a reasonably fast ADSL connection.  To be more precise, only
> download is reasonably fast.  Upload is slow and when I upload files
> to a remote machine it does not make much fun to connect to another
> machine using ssh.

Almost all clients allow you to limit the download and upload speed.
And bandwith shaping on your router helps too, of course.

> As I understand the problem, tug.org and CTAN want to reduce traffic.

Yes, and this is exactly where BT helps.

Best
   Martin