[tex-live] texdoc in luatex

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jun 30 19:59:10 CEST 2007

I see no hugely critical reason to support compressed pdf files.  I
don't think we should have them in TeX Live.  The amount of space saved
is not worth the ensuing trouble IMHO.

As for the problem of a documentation database, the Catalogue is the
obvious (and only) place to get good information from.  Expecting
individual authors to provide any such metadata is doomed to failure, in
my experience.  (That is, some authors will, but many authors won't, so
you can't count on it, so you have to deal with the metadata being
missing anyway, so you might as well not ask authors to do more work in
the first place.)

If you want to rewrite texdoctk to somehow make use of this, perhaps
using the Catalogue data as processed for TL by David's new Elisp (which
I still haven't tried yet, sadly), go for it.  I certainly agree that
texdoctk.dat is not a good solution.

Best,
Karl